Choral Music Educators Workshop
Register now to attend this special workshop presented by Tacoma Youth Chorus!
- Saturday, October 20, 2018; 8:45 am – 4:00 pm; Charles Wright Academy
- Clinicians: Henry Leck, Founder/Conductor Laureate of the Indianapolis Children’s Choir, and
Judith Herrington, Founder/Artistic Director of Tacoma Youth Chorus
- Sessions on music classroom and rehearsal teaching techniques, strategies working with the
boys’ expanding voice (with a boys’ demonstration choir), teaching part singing, a reading
session, and a Q and A session
- Cost: $65 for educators/church musicians; $20 for students — price includes lunch!
- 6.5 clock hours available – free for WMEA members; $13.50 for non-WMEA members**
- Register by July 31 and receive a $10 discount!
**WMEA membership is NOT a requirement to attend this workshop!
Assessments at Tacoma Youth Chorus
Call 253-588-1391 to start the process.*Other dates/times available.
Thank you for supporting your student’s musical journey. Before joining Tacoma Youth Chorus, each singer performs an assessment with the appropriate choir director. The assessment is designed to be a learning experience. The directors want to learn about the singer and it’s also an opportunity for singers to learn new skills. During an assessment, the singer will be asked to match pitches, sing melodic phrases, broken triads, and scales. Although these concepts will be explained and taught during the assessment, it may be helpful for you as a music teacher to spend some time practicing these skills with your student beforehand. Advanced applicants are asked to bring a solo and are taught a new song during the assessment. We are looking for young musicians who match pitch, are highly motivated, and demonstrate a willingness to work with others and the director.
If you have any questions about the assessment process, please contact the appropriate choir director.
Below are downloads for a Parent Referral Letter and an Audition Information flyer that includes detailed information about out 2016-2017 choirs, if either of these are helpful to you.
The assessment will consist of the following:
Goals of the Assessment
- Sense of matching pitch
- Eager to learn and willing to take risks
- Ability to make changes, flexibility and apply learning
- Passion and desire
Music teaching sequence
- Prepared song (for advanced applicants)
- My Country ‘Tis of Thee: checking vowels, phrasing, pitch accuracy, scooping
- Teach new song: checking for retention, application of new ideas, willingness to learn and make mistakes